Utah Symphony | Utah Opera needs a controller to manage the day-to-day accounting of the organization. The controller supervises a department of two and will report to the CFO. Comprehensive benefits package includes medical insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, vacation and sick leave.
Essential Responsibilities Include:
- Supervising the accounting department and accounting functions
- Preparing or overseeing weekly and monthly operating and financial reports,
- Ensuring compliance with federal and state income tax, and payroll filing requirements,
- Liaison with auditors during annual financial audit,
- Receivables management.
- Accounting Degree or 5 years work experience.
- Proficient in Accounting Software i.e. Great Plains, Excel, Access, other accounting packages
- Communicate effectively with others
- Task oriented self-motivator.
Assistant Technical Director for Utah Opera
- Prospect and sell Utah Symphony | Utah Opera season subscription packages
- Solicit donations from current and past patrons during our Annual Fundraising Campaign
- Cultivate relationships with patrons in order to create repeat business and referrals
- Meet pre-determined goals for ticket sales, promotions, and contributions
- Identify the patron’s needs, present accurate product information and close the sale over the phone
- Keep detailed tracking records of revenue, contacts, calls per hour, and other sales metrics
- Maintain follow-up with patrons as needed
- Other duties as assigned by the Sales Manager
- Prior sales experience a plus
- Commitment to setting and achieving goals
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Superior customer service and aptitude towards developing relationships over the phone
- Outstanding organizational, problem-solving and multi-tasking abilities
- Qualified at working independently AND as part of a team
- High level of professionalism and grace under pressure
- Courteous attitude and strong listening skills
- Enthusiastic personality; high energy level
Patron Services Agent
- Assist in the selling of subscription packages, subscriber add=on tickets, and single tickets.
- Assist patrons with ticket exchanges in accordance with USUO policy.
- Identify patrons who are potential high-value subscribers (i.e. Abravanel and/or Peterson Society members) or group sales prospects and provide customer information to Patron Services and Group Sales Managers.
- Process subscription forms submitted by USUO Outbound Sales office
- Perform data entry projects as assigned
- Attend performances and perform performance duty during evenings and weekends as required
- Perform follow-up calls to patrons that may include special offers
- Assist with other special marketing and development projects as needed
June 5, 2017 – August 7, 2016
Utah Symphony | Utah Opera’s summer intern is responsible for assisting the Development Department with its administrative, presentational, promotional and onsite operational aspects of the Deer Valley®Music Festival. This individual will interact with patrons, individual donors, corporate sponsors, orchestra members and guest artists; therefore, a professional and mature demeanor is required. College students and graduate students with an interest in Arts Management or Non-Profit Fundraising are encouraged to apply.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Assisting with the Deer Valley®Music Festival VIP program
- Weekday 9-5pm office work in Salt Lake City, UT
- Friday and Saturday night concert duty in Park City, UT (4-10pm)
- Occasional weekday evening event duties
- Tracking RSVP lists for events throughout the summer
- Assisting with Utah Symphony touring
The work schedule is flexible (allowing for days/evenings off each week) and will be negotiated before the internship begins. This is an unpaid internship, but does offer other benefits described below. The candidate would ideally have superior customer service skills when dealing with patrons over the phone and face-to-face. Candidates must be proficient in Excel, Word, Power Point and Outlook. Knowledge of the design website WordFly and of the ticketing and fundraising database system Tessitura is a plus.
The benefits of a Deer Valley® Music Festival internship include:
- Housing in Park City during weekend Festival work
- Dinners provided during weekend Festival work and at other evening events
- Opportunities to attend performances and receive complimentary/discounted tickets
- Opportunities to meet prominent artists in various music fields
- Increased understanding of the performing arts and arts administration
- Opportunities to interact with top administrative professionals in the performing arts field
Applications are due by Wednesday, March 15. Application materials should include a resume and cover letter. Internships begin June 5 and end August 7, 2017. The internship start date could be flexible depending on the applicant.
Public Relations Internship
USUO is seeking a part-time Public Relations Intern to assist the Public Relations Director with expanding media relations efforts and placement. Intern would be responsible for drafting press releases and PSAs, updating and managing media lists, distributing relevant press materials to media in advance of their deadlines, monitoring and tracking media clips into our library, assisting with content generation and coordination for patron relations project, conceptualizing and pitching unique story angles to the media and assisting the Marketing Department with any other projects as necessary. Hours are flexible and will be determined prior to the internship. Internship duration will also be determined based on mutual company and intern needs.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Writing press releases
- Creating talking points to prep USUO executive for on air/camera interviews
- Writing PSAs (public service announcements)
- Submit PSAs to community calendars
- Interviewing guest artists/conductors
- Writing stories for publication on blog, playbill and social media
- Assisting in social media execution on platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Periscope
- Research and content production for patron relations project
- Creating, updating and maintaining media lists
- Monitoring and tracking media clips in an organized manner
- Pitching regional stories to local publications
- Conceptualizing and pitching unique story angles and human interest stories to media
Ideal candidate should be a recent graduate or current student of Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing or Communications at an accredited university and have excellent written and verbal communication, and familiarity with journalistic AP Style. Experience writing news stories or marketing copy is a plus. Other important qualifications include an ability to meet deadlines, an assertive and creative work approach, excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, reliability and consistency. Candidate should understand the value of producing effective results over mere efficiency. Knowledge of classical music is also a plus. Access to a vehicle is not mandatory.
This position is unpaid, but can be taken for college credit. Other benefits include complimentary and discount tickets to performances, experience working in media relations and an increased understanding of arts marketing and promotions. Internship runs January through May.
Social Media Internship
Utah Symphony | Utah Opera connects Utah communities through great live music, serving as the premier local provider of orchestral and operatic art forms. The Utah Symphony is one of only 15 full time orchestras in the nation, and the only joint symphony and opera company of its size. USUO reaches 450,000 residents in Utah and the Intermountain region through its performances and educational outreach programs serving more than 155,000 students annually.
At Utah Symphony | Utah Opera, a social media intern would learn about setting, tracking, and analyzing KPIs and using the resulting data to inform future campaigns. The platforms the Intern would be exposed to include social media managers, like Sprout Social and IconoSquare; Google Analytics, including campaign creation; and native analytics—and possibly even analytics within email software. The intern would also learn how to plan a social media content calendar, develop content, and draft posts which are optimized for various platforms. The Intern may also learn basics in digital advertising and email drafting depending on the time available.
The intern would be responsible for conceptualizing and pitching unique story angles to complement the social media strategy, and developing multimedia content to distribute on our social media networks related to Utah Symphony and Utah Opera.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Interviewing guest artists/conductors
- Producing stories for blog and social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Periscope
- Conceptualizing and managing individual projects with the goal of increasing social media traffic and engagement
- Creating and monitoring measureable tracking on all social engagement to provide metrics and data for further analysis
Ideal candidate should be a recent graduate or current student of Social Media, Journalism, Marketing or Communications at an accredited university and have excellent written and verbal communication, and familiarity with journalistic AP Style. Experience with graphic design applications and/or photography is a plus. Other important qualifications include an ability to meet deadlines, an assertive and creative work approach, excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, reliability and consistency. Candidate should understand the value of producing effective results over mere efficiency. Knowledge of classical music is also a plus. Access to a vehicle is not mandatory.
This position is unpaid, but can be taken for college credit. Other benefits include complimentary and discount tickets to performances, experience working on content strategy and an increased understanding of arts marketing and promotions. Internship runs January through May.
Additional Internship Opportunities
Utah Symphony | Utah Opera accepts interns whenever possible to assist students and new professionals in making informed decisions about careers in the arts. Interested candidates can explore one or more facets of arts operations, administration, education, development and marketing We also offer opera-based production opportunities in our costume shop, scenic design studio and stage management. Internships are unpaid with flexible hours and can be used for academia credit. Interns are assigned to a mentor.