Junior Graphic Designer, Part-Time
Utah Symphony | Utah Opera (USUO) is seeking a graphic designer to join its marketing team and assist with the production of graphic design projects. The Junior Graphic Designer reports to the Director of Creative & Brand Strategy and works closely with USUO’s marketing, development, and education departments to produce creative materials.
Essential Responsibilities Include:
- Create and modify graphic templates using Adobe InDesign for print and online advertising campaigns under the direction of the Director of Creative & Brand Strategy and in accordance with USUO’s established brand and style guidelines.
- Update changes from proofing accurately and work with the team on redesign requests.
- Review design projects for accuracy and ensure project objectives are met.
- Keep projects on schedule and meet project deadlines.
- Opportunity for creative input and collaboration on campaign development.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
- 1 – 2 years’ experience working in graphic design. Design Degree or Certificate a plus.
- Proficient use of Adobe InDesign required.
- Opportunities to work with Adobe After Effects, Illustrator and Photoshop as abled.
- Understanding of typography and layout principles.
- Ability to take design concepts and apply them to different advertising mediums in a cohesive manner.
- Organized and detail-oriented.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and schedules simultaneously.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- General marketing and advertising knowledge.
- Passion for and knowledge of classical music and opera preferred.
- Windows environment.
This is a part-time position (20 hours/week) with flexibility in establishing a schedule during normal business hours (Monday – Friday, 9 AM – 5 PM). Our office is located at the Utah Opera Production Studios in downtown Salt Lake City (336 North 400 West). In addition to the hourly wage, complimentary tickets to Utah Symphony, Utah Opera, and Deer Valley® Music Festival performances are a great benefit of working for our team.
Wig & Make-up Assistant
- Report to Wig and Makeup Designer to discuss nightly tasks and/or responsibilities.
- Application of wigs and theatrical makeup.
- General tasks may include but not limited to: production maintenance, wig and hair styling, cleaning of wig lace, and blocking wigs.
- Must have previous professional experience and/or education working in a theatrical Wig and Makeup Department
- Be able to work in a fast paced, ever-changing work environment and be able to exercise time management skills.
- Capable of working in collaboration with other colleagues on projects and creative solutions.
Opera Chorus Master
The Opera Chorus Master serves as a member of the Artistic Staff and Production team to prepare the Opera Chorus for up to five productions each season. The Chorus Master will be primarily responsible for Chorus development and recruitment – including organizing auditions – and will play an important role in Utah Opera’s long-term artistic planning.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and maintain the Chorus Rehearsal Schedule;
- Conduct Music Rehearsals for the Chorus;
- Make available to Chorus members scores, pronunciation aids, and other materials needed for success;
- Attend all Staging and Orchestra Rehearsals;
- Attend all Performances;
- Attend post-rehearsal production meetings as necessary;
- Audition and staff Chorus Rosters for upcoming season productions;
- Manage Library of Chorus Scores;
- Act as a liaison between Guest Conductors and Orchestral Library Staff;
Other Possible Duties
- Provide general assistance to Guest Conductors during production periods;
- Serve as a cover conductor in the event that a Guest Conductor is unable to fill his/her place on the podium;
- Participate in Company Auditions
Qualifications and Capabilities
Doctoral or Master’s Degree in Choral Music, Opera, and/or a related field, and have at least 4 years’ experience in Choral conducting – 2 years specifically for Opera; superb work ethic, good organizational skills and ability to work independently; strong communication skills with experience in conflict resolution a plus; competent computer skills including Word, Excel, and Outlook; ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends;
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include Life Insurance, Health, 401(k), and Sick and Vacation time accrual.
Applicants should send Cover Letter, Resume with References, and (other materials) to:
Utah Symphony | Utah Opera
Attn: Mandi Titcomb
336 North 400 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84103
Position to begin on or before August 31, 2017. Application Deadline: June 30, 2017
Scenic Change Artist
The Scenic Charge Artist works in conjunction with the Senior Technical Director. Duties for this position include but are not limited to:
- Creating samples for approval by Scenic designers
- Mixing all color
- Paint and surface treatment on all scenic elements
- Carving or otherwise sculpting scenic elements such as stone, tree bark, etc.
- All necessary surface texturing
- Applying protective coatings where necessary
- Supervising additional staff
- Maintaining the safety, order, and cleanliness of all paint areas
- Maintaining all paint equipment
- Assist in the bidding process for company builds and outside contracts
Public Relations Internship
- Writing press releases
- Creating talking points to prep USUO executive for on air/camera interviews
- Writing PSAs (public service announcements)
- Submit PSAs to community calendars
- Interviewing guest artists/conductors
- Writing stories for publication on blog, playbill and social media
- Assisting in social media execution on platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- Research and content production for patron relations project
- Creating, updating and maintaining media lists
- Monitoring and tracking media clips in an organized manner
- Pitching regional stories to local publications
- Conceptualizing and pitching unique story angles and human interest stories to media
Additional Internship Opportunities
Utah Symphony | Utah Opera accepts interns whenever possible to assist students and new professionals in making informed decisions about careers in the arts. Interested candidates can explore one or more facets of arts operations, administration, education, development and marketing We also offer opera-based production opportunities in our costume shop, scenic design studio and stage management. Internships are unpaid with flexible hours and can be used for academia credit. Interns are assigned to a mentor.